IPython 4.2 (April, 2016) includes various bugfixes and improvements over 4.1.
ipython -ion errors, which was broken in 4.1.
- The delay meant to highlight deprecated commands that have moved to jupyter has been removed.
- Improve compatibility with future versions of traitlets and matplotlib.
- Use stdlib
shutil.get_terminal_size()to measure terminal width when displaying tracebacks (provided by
backports.shutil_get_terminal_sizeon Python 2).
You can see the rest on GitHub.
IPython 4.1.2 (March, 2016) fixes installation issues with some versions of setuptools.
Released February, 2016. IPython 4.1 contains mostly bug fixes, though there are a few improvements.
- IPython debugger (IPdb) now supports the number of context lines for the
w) commands. The
contextkeyword is also available in various APIs. See PR PR #9097
- YouTube video will now show thumbnail when exported to a media that do not support video. (PR #9086)
- Add warning when running
ipython <subcommand>when subcommand is deprecated.
jupytershould now be used.
- Code in
%pinfo(also known as
??) are now highlighter (PR #8947)
%aimportnow support module completion. (PR #8884)
ipdboutput is now colored ! (PR #8842)
- Add ability to transpose columns for completion: (PR #8748)
Many many docs improvements and bug fixes, you can see the list of changes
Released August, 2015
IPython 4.0 is the first major release after the Big Split. IPython no longer contains the notebook, qtconsole, etc. which have moved to jupyter. IPython subprojects, such as IPython.parallel and widgets have moved to their own repos as well.
The following subpackages are deprecated:
- IPython.kernel (now jupyter_client and ipykernel)
- IPython.consoleapp (now jupyter_client.consoleapp)
- IPython.nbformat (now nbformat)
- IPython.nbconvert (now nbconvert)
- IPython.html (now notebook)
- IPython.parallel (now ipyparallel)
- IPython.utils.traitlets (now traitlets)
- IPython.config (now traitlets.config)
- IPython.qt (now qtconsole)
- IPython.terminal.console (now jupyter_console)
and a few other utilities.
Shims for the deprecated subpackages have been added, so existing code should continue to work with a warning about the new home.
There are few changes to the code beyond the reorganization and some bugfixes.
- Public APIs for discovering IPython paths is moved from
IPython.paths. The old function locations continue to work with deprecation warnings.
- Code raising
DeprecationWarningentered by the user in an interactive session will now display the warning by default. See PR #8480 an #8478.
--deep-reloadflag and the corresponding options to inject
reloadinto the interactive namespace have been deprecated, and will be removed in future versions. You should now explicitly import
IPython.lib.deepreloadto use it.