This documentation covers a development version of IPython. The development version may differ significantly from the latest stable release.
This documentation covers IPython versions 6.0 and higher. Beginning with version 6.0, IPython stopped supporting compatibility with Python versions lower than 3.3 including all versions of Python 2.7.
If you are looking for an IPython version compatible with Python 2.7, please use the IPython 5.x LTS release and refer to its documentation (LTS is the long term support release).
What’s new in IPython¶
This section documents the changes that have been made in various versions of IPython. Users should consult these pages to learn about new features, bug fixes and backwards incompatibilities. Developers should summarize the development work they do here in a user friendly format.
- Development version
- 6.x Series
- Issues closed in the 6.x development cycle
- 5.x Series
- Issues closed in the 5.x development cycle
- 4.x Series
- Issues closed in the 4.x development cycle
- 3.x Series
- Issues closed in the 3.x development cycle
- Migrating Widgets to IPython 3
- 2.x Series
- Issues closed in the 2.x development cycle
- 1.0 Series
- Issues closed in the 1.0 development cycle
- 0.13 Series
- Issues closed in the 0.13 development cycle
- 0.12 Series
- Issues closed in the 0.12 development cycle
- 0.11 Series
- Issues closed in the 0.11 development cycle
- 0.10 series
- 0.9 series
- 0.8 series